Uploading HTML website files. After days of coding your website, it’s time to publish your creation to the internet. This tutorial will show you how to upload a website in a few easy steps. Let’s take a look!
- Pick a Reliable Web Hosting Company
Creating and maintaining a website is not something that you should take lightly. It’s crucial to pick a top-notch web hosting provider that has all the key features to kickstart your project.
- Live support. A good hosting service should have a team of experts who can help you at any time. There’s no worse feeling than running into some issues and having to wait for days to get a response.
- Control over your web hosting space. The less control you have over your account, the more likely you are to run into trouble when your site grows.
2. Choose Your Website Upload Method
The next challenge is picking the right tool to do the job. Here are four of the most popular tools to upload a website:
A browser-based tool with all the key features to take care of your website files and directories. In hPanel, you can find File Manager under the Files section.
However, the File Manager has an upload limit. If your website files are larger than 256MB, you should opt for the next tool instead.
File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
Most web hosting providers include a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) service, so you can use it to connect to an FTP client. For Hostinger’s users, all the required credentials are located in FTP Accounts under the Files section.
FTP clients have no size limit, so you can upload as many files as you want.
Automatic Website Importer
If you’re a Hostinger client, you can find an Import Website feature in hPanel. You can use this feature to extract a website archive to the public_html directory. The tool supports .zip, .tar and .tar.gz formats, and the upload limit is 256MB.
3. Upload Your Website File
- Login to Hostinger’s hPanel and navigate to File Manager.
- Once you’re in the public_html directory, select the Upload Files icon from the upper-right menu.
- Select the website archive file on your computer and Upload it to our server.
- Right-click on the uploaded file and Extract the archived files to the public_html directory.
4. Move the Website Files to the Main Root Directory
In some cases, an additional directory will be created when you upload website files. As a result, visitors will be directed to yourdomain.com/subfolder instead of the default yourdomain.com
To prevent that from happening, you need to make sure all the files are located in the root directory of your domain, which is public_html.
You can use the File Manager to move your website files. All you need to do is right-click on the subfolder, select the Move option, and set public_html as the destination.
5. Import Your Database
If your website uses a database, you’ll also need to import it along with your website files:
1.Create a new MySQL database and user.
How can I create a new MySQL database?
Your MySQL databases can be fully managed from the MySQL Databases page. To create a database just find Hosting → Manage → MySQL Databases:
In the section Create a New MySQL Database And Database User, enter your MySQL database name, username, password and click on Create:
Once done, a new database will appear on List of Current MySQL Databases And Users section and you will be able to manage it freely.
- The first part of the database/user name (u123456789) is unique and cannot be removed or changed.
- Password must contain at least one number and one uppercase and lowercase letter, and at least 8 or more characters.
- Access your newly created database via phpMyAdmin.
- Use the Import section to upload the backup file of your database.
- Update the MySQL database connection details (database name, host, user, password) in its configuration files.
6. Check If the Website Works
Once the website files are uploaded, it’s time for a final check!
If your domain name is already pointed to your web host, enter the domain name into your browser and see if it directs you to your website.
Keep in mind that DNS changes can take up to 48 hours to fully propagate worldwide. As such, if you just pointed your domain to the web host’s name servers, you might need to wait for a while.
Use an online tool like whatsmydns.net to check the state of your DNS propagation. Just enter your domain name and the tool will check the DNS records against multiple name servers.
Should you follow all the instructions correctly, your website will appear just fine. However, if you run into an issue, ask your hosting provider for assistance.
And if you’re a Hostinger client, contact us via the live chat and one of our customer success agents will be ready to help you!
Designing a beautiful website will mean nothing if you don’t publish it. Don’t leave it untouched on your computer and let people appreciate your artwork!
To recap, here are the steps to upload your website:
- Pick the right hosting provider.
- Choose the tool and method to upload your website.
- Upload your website files.
- Move the website files to the main root folder.
- Import your database.
- Check if your website works worldwide.
That’s it! It may sound a bit complicated at first, but if you follow all the steps carefully, you’ll get your website running in no time. Good luck!